This is a model of the famed M10 Tank Destroyer, a subject also covered in the 1/48 scale Military Miniature series. This largely newly-tooled model (only machine gun and clear parts are taken over from existing models) gives it the glorious detail of the larger 1/35 scale. The astonishing success of German armor tactics in 1940 prompted U.S. forces to adopt a doctrine requiring dedicated new tank destroyers to counter them. After going down a few different design routes at the start of the process, they eventually hit upon the highly successful M10 design with well-sloped (if rather thin, to keep the vehicle light and maneuverable) armor plate, and the highly capable 3-inch (76.2mm) gun. Over 4,900 were produced, and took part in Operation Torch (the invasion of N. Africa), as well as fighting in Italy and the advance upon Germany that would bring the exhausting conflict to a close.
About the model
* 1/35 scale plastic model assembly kit. Length: 196mm, width: 88mm.
* Intensive study and measurement of the M10 in the tank museum at Saumur led to this highly detailed depiction of its form complete with sloped armor, right down to auxiliary armor bosses.
* The open top on the distinctive turret allows viewing of the 3-inch gun breech and realistic interior.
* Compare and contrast depictions of surface textures such as the cast mantlet and differential cover versus the welded armor plate of the turret sides and upper hull.
* Belt-type parts recreate T51 tracks.
* Driver"s hatch can be attached in open or closed position, and features periscope depiction.
* Comes with 3 figures (commander, loader, gunner) in realistic pose, plus 2 marking options for recreating M10s belonging to the 601st and 634th U.S. Tank Destroyer Battalions